The Georgia Occupational Regulation Review Council (GORRC) was statutorily established in 1986 to review all legislation that proposes to license or certify occupations and professions that are currently unregulated. A detailed breakdown of the review process can be looked up here under Chapter 1A of Title 43. OPB’s Director (or an appointed designee) serves as the chairperson of GORRC, and presides over nine members, seven of which are from the following agencies:
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Natural Resources
- Office of Planning and Budget
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Revenue
- Office of the Secretary of State
- State Office of Accounting
The last two members come from the state legislature. Georgia Code Section § 43-1A-5 requires one chairperson or designee from a committee from each chamber of the General Assembly to join the council when one of those committees has proposed legislation relevant to the task of the council. You may look up the more detailed breakdown in the Georgia Code.
Bills introduced in the General Assembly that fall under the GORRC’s purview are reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Whether the unregulated practice of the occupation may harm or endanger the health, safety and welfare of citizens of this state and whether the potential for harm is recognizable and not remote;
- Whether the practice of the occupation requires specialized skill or training and whether the public needs and will benefit by assurances of initial and continuing occupational ability;
- Whether the citizens of this state are or may be effectively protected by other means;
- Whether the overall cost effectiveness and economic impact would be positive for citizens of this state; and
- Whether there are means other than state regulation to protect the interests of the state.
As of May 19, 2016, the council has completed its review of House Bill 569, which proposes to regulate certain purveyors of durable medical equipment. The council's report and other materials related to this review are available below.
For copies of the council’s past recommendations, please contact Yvonne Turner at Yvonne.Turner@opb.georgia.gov.