Local Fiscal Recovery Fund
The Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds provide a substantial infusion of resources to help turn the tide on the pandemic, address its economic fallout, and lay the foundation for a strong and equitable recovery.
The Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) is the prime recipient of the State and Local Fiscal Relief, Capital Investment Projects, and Emergency Rental Assistance Program. Other funds made available through federal relief acts are directly allocated to other state and local entities. US Treasury has indicated that states will receive funds to distribute to non-entitlement cities within 30 days of certifying for the funds.
- Support urgent COVID-19 response efforts to continue to decrease spread of the virus and bring the pandemic under control
- Replace lost public sector revenue to strengthen support for vital public services and help retain jobs
- Support immediate economic stabilization for households and businesses
- Address systemic public health and economic challenges that have contributed to the inequal impact of the pandemic
Preparing to Request Funding
There are a few steps you can take now to prepare to request funding from your state, including:
✓ Obtain or confirm your local government’s valid DUNS number to be used at when the NEU applies with the State
✓ Gather your local government’s payment information:
o Local government name, Entity’s Taxpayer Identification Number, DUNS number, and address
o Authorized representative name, title, and email
o Contact person name, title, phone, and email
o Financial institution information (e.g., routing and account number, financial institution name and contact information)
✓ Confirm your local government’s top-line budget total (defined as your local government’s total annual operating budget, including the general fund and other funds, in effect as of January 27, 2020)
✓ Review award terms and conditions agreement (the state will send an electronic copy to be signed through OPB’s GeorgiaCares portal so there is no need to send the pdf in advance.)
✓ Review assurances of compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (the state will send an electronic copy to be signed through OPB’s GeorgiaCares portal so there is no need to send the pdf in advance.)
Please await further instructions on how to request funding through the state. Once an official application process has begun, instructions will be sent out to all eligible NEUs. Please ensure that you have completed the preliminary requirements that were sent out and requested of eligible NEUs in order to apply for funds.
For more information or questions concerning this process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Obtain a DUNS Number
A DUNS number is a unique nine-character number used to identify your organization. The federal government uses the DUNS number to track how federal money is allocated. If your organization does not yet have a DUNS number, or no one knows it, visit the Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) website or call 1-866-705-5711 to register or search for a DUNS number. If you have any questions, please visit for a list of frequently asked questions.
Support Public Health Response
- Services to contain and mitigate the spread of COVID-19, including vaccination, medical expenses, testing, contact tracing, quarantine costs, capacity enhancements, and many related activities.
- Behavioral healthcare services, including mental health or substance misuse treatment, crisis intervention, and related services.
- Payroll and covered benefits for public health, healthcare, human services, and public safety staff to the extent that they work on the COVID-19 response.
Replace Public Sector Revenue Loss
- Ensure continuity of vital government services by filling budget shortfalls.
- Revenue loss is calculated relative to the expected trend, beginning with the last full fiscal year pre-pandemic and adjusted annually for growth.
- Recipients may re-calculate revenue loss at multiple points during the program, supporting those entities that experience revenue loss with a lag.
Water & Sewer Infrastructure
- Includes improvements to infrastructure, such as building or upgrading facilities and transmission, distribution, and storage systems.
- Eligible uses aligned to Environmental Protection Agency project categories for the Clean Water State Revolving Fund and Drinking Water State Revolving Fund
- Additional flexibility for the hardest-hit communities and families to address health disparities, invest in housing, address education disparities, and promote healthy childhood environments.
- Broadly applicable to Qualified Census Tracts, other disproportionately impacted areas and when provided by Tribal governments.
Premium Pay for Essential Workers
- Provide premium pay to essential workers, both directly and through grants to third-party employers.
- Prioritize low- and moderate-income workers, who face the greatest mismatch between employment-related health risks and compensation.
- Key sectors include healthcare, grocery and food services, education, childcare, sanitation, and transit.
- Must be fully additive to a worker's wages.
- Focus on households and businesses without access to broadband and those with connections that do not provide minimally acceptable speeds
- Fund projects that deliver reliable service with minimum 100 MBPS download/ 100 MBPS upload speeds unless impracticable.
- Complement broadband investments made through the Capital Projects Fund.
Address Negative Economic Impacts
- Deliver assistance to workers and families, including support for unemployed workers, aid to households, and survivor's benefits for families of COVID-19 victims.
- Support small businesses with loans, grants, in-kind assistance, and counseling programs.
- Speed the recovery of impacted industries, including the tourism, travel, and hospitality sectors.
- Rebuild public sector capacity by rehiring staff, replenishing state unemployment insurance funds, and implementing economic relief programs.
- Changes that reduce net tax revenue must not be offset with American Rescue Plan funds.
- Extraordinary payments into a pension fund are a prohibited use of this funding.